Tuesday

Not Dead Yet




To add to the William Blake and John Donne memorials in St. Pauls, I added all the author's in the Poet's Corner in Westminster Abbey. I was not allowed to photograph any of these because apparently that might be morbid or disrupt sanctity. If I was famous, I would love it if people took photos of my grave. But, I suppose I will probably be buried in the ground and no one will care if people take pictures outside. And I will probably never be famous.

I found Great Scotland Yard but it is more of a street than a yard. But more note-worthy is the plays and museums I have seen. Monday was Long Day's Journey Into Night and it was beautifully acted by Laurie Metcalf. Disturbing and dramatic, it ended and as painful as it was, I wanted it to keep going. This was after a day in Westminster Abbey, so despite the Dayquil (yes, I got sick in London) I had a very moving day, even if the movement was in a hazy fog. But as we all know from Eugene O'Neill, if you feel comfortable in a fog you are probably an alcoholic or dope fiend.

Before that on Sunday, I went to three hours of church in Portuguese and was very glad that I don't need to understand everything and am fine with knowing very little. I understood about 10% of what was going on, but it was very nice. No idea what I'm supposed to do, except learn more random phrases of Portuguese. Life is always a bit funny and interesting though.




On the interesting note, I saw two Shakespeare plays today, one very traditionally performed and one very avant garde. The avant garde MacBeth was in The Globe, in Polish, and involved many cross-dressing male prostitutes, dope fiends, addicts, masks, alienation, stylized movement, mooning the audience, glitter, sequins, lip-syncing to American pop hits, and a rape scene. I enjoyed it, but confusing and interesting is how I would describe it. It was interesting. Some parts were good, a couple parts were very good, and many parts were confusing. The plot wasn't confusing, but the stylistic choices being made were.

Then the traditional As You Like It was in a Pub Theatre and was very well done. We went as a class and I think most of the girls were more excited about the many good-looking actors on stage instead of the work they were doing, but I think I'm jaded. I was thinking about how cute the latest guy I have a crush on is and



how I'd like to hold his hand. But, I'm in Europe. Many fish in this pond too. Now, I just need to get better or go to pubs while hopped up on Dayquil. Either way is guaranteed good fun because as strange as I get on medication, I'm not too much different off of the juice. Well, goodnight says the Dayquil fiend. To sleep for 5 hours to arise and do lots of things tomorrow before Harry Potter Studio tour.

No comments: