Monday

Leaving London

After a few weeks in London, I left. Gone. Bu-bye. Vamos. I went to the London Temple on Friday. It is out in Lingfield near a race track. There were flowers, grounds, a man-made lake, a bench to sleep on; basically everything I could find in Hyde Park. But the temple was nice. I got to help in the baptistry, which I have never done before. It was a nice day overall followed by going to a fringe musical - Spring Awakening. It was definitely interesting. I didn't know much about it going in, but it was assuredly interesting in looking at a community that denies the existence of sex as something to be discussed. It was interesting in many ways, especially the staging. But it wasn't mind-blowing or something I loved excessively. The top shows I have seen so far have been the hip-hop Othello, The Collaborators, Misterman, and Long Day's Journey Into Night. After the play, we left early to take a bus to go to Dover via Canterbury. It is interesting that I really don't know the geography of England at all. I have no idea of where so many things are outside of London. I know where Wales is, but so many things exist in this mush of a country outside the map of London. I got a glimpse of Canterbury with a cathedral in the distance. Then off to Dover. The castle was the most impressive part of the trip. I loved exploring so much and the ancient buildings had their own sense of history. Walking on buildings from the 1200s was something that made me aware of how small I am and what a small amount of time I have existed. After my trip back in time, I walked along the beach and went to a museum with the oldest sea-faring vessel in the world. It was pretty cool. After a long bus ride back, we went to a fringe theatre production called Three Kingdoms which completely confused me. But it had some great movement-based theatre. Anyway, I had a great day outside of London. Then church was in Portuguese on Sunday. And now I am off to Scotland!

No comments: