Thursday

Magical Theatre and Harry Potter




It has happened. I rode a broomstick but in a very Muggle-ish CGI way. But since I am a Muggle, this is the only way I will probably get to ride a broomstick and open the door to Hogwarts and see all the other things I got to observe. Of course this mostly revolved around movie magic, but it was still really awesome. Drinking Butter Beer before seeing Hagrid's animatronic head, seeing the real big miniature of Hogwarts, and riding Sirius' flying motorcycle. It was an exciting and great day and felt very much like living as a child again. Unlike many of the people in the group, I did not grow up learning to read with Harry Potter, but he is very reminiscent of all things childish and long-gone. I'm no longer a child, but often I miss being one. Museums occasionally bring out the child in me with the pleasure of imagining myself in ancient civilizations.



Harry Potter brought out a different kind of childhood memory to me. I remember staying up all night just for the pleasure of reading the fourth book during my last year of high school. I also am reminded of the times I would buy the sixth and fifth books in Illinois after working all night at the hotel then driving to a YSA activity in Indiana. The activity was scheduled the day the book was released for two years in a row. I just remember staring at the book though I was exhausted while driving from Bloomington, Illinois to Bloomington, Indiana twice. It was nice to be a child again for 2 hours and revel in all the things that no longer find quite as magical.

But I still find life and the world magical, just in different ways. I saw Cillian Murphy in a one-man play called Misterman at the National Theatre last night and it was magical. It was disturbing, and moving, and beautiful, and horrible, and magical. I wasn't sure what to expect and there is so much I could say about this play. But somehow words are not enough to explain, describe, or even give a hint of the experience. Just walking across the Thames after the show, I kept thinking and thinking about this show that tried to show the life and mind of a crazy man while redeeming him in a way. But the river looked lovely with the lights from buildings on the shore reflecting on the waves as a speed boat hummed under the bridge. The rain has been soft and almost-mist for the last days, just kissing my hair and clothing. And despite all the noise, life has quiet moments when breathing can still be heard clearly and the world seems to pause in contemplation of all the life on it.



A different kind of magic happened today. We went on a fascinating tour of the National Theatre and it was amazing how they are able to continually find and produce so many plays. The technical aspects of having two shows in one space were revealed along with all the work involved. We examined how props and sets were created to make the realistic or symbolic worlds of these plays. I loved looking at this professional theatre and how they were doing what I have done in the past (sets and props) but on a larger and more professional scale, After the three shows I have seen at the National, I can say all of them are amazing in terms of lighting, sound, props, and sets.





Then I was able to see two shows today. The Woman in Black was very good. I love horror movies, so I loved the effect it had and was able to create in an audience. I hated the audience we were with since it was mostly middle-school-aged children who could not be quiet to save their lives. But, no matter. I still enjoyed the show to the utmost. I don't scream or react visibly during horror movies, but it was interesting sitting next to people who do scream in reaction while I sat stiff and unmoving.

Then after a mad dash through the streets of London, I went to One Man, Two Guvnors with the class. It was very entertaining and funny if not the best theatre I have seen. They seemed to be playing to the audience a bit too much, but I still enjoyed it. But now it is time for bed so I can go to the temple tomorrow.

No comments: