Monday

Sleep Deprivation

I was thinking about sleep deprivation over the holiday. Yes, I was thinking about the deprivation I will experience next week as I was catching up for the past few weeks. In the world today it is harder and harder to treat our bodies like temples when we are expected to stretch them to the utmost of their capacity. We are supposed to be studying, reading, working, volunteering and somehow also finding time to take care of our bodies. I have been neglecting caring for my body lately because it does not come at the top of my priority list. But where should caring for our bodies come on our priority list? It can’t come before studying scriptures or praying. I don’t think it should come before school work either. The only other thing I have that fills my schedule is theatre, which is something I am very passionate about. Should taking care of my body come before my passion? Probably, but I still sacrifice sleep as I near an opening night this Friday. And I will be sacrificing more sleep next semester when I stage manage Pirates of Penzance. Of course most of this sleep deprivation is made possible through my job at night. It provides a great time to do homework and reading for classes, but it makes sleeping more than 4 hours at a time a challenge. I have allowed myself to put my passion before sleep. I know I can only do this for so long before my body loses some of its youth and demands more sleep. I suppose I won’t give up theatre because I’m worried I won’t have it for very long. Most married people I know don’t have the time that they had when they were single to commit to theatre. So if I ever get married, I’m worried about giving up something I feel so passionately about. I know of a couple that met in a theatre and continues to be heavily involved in theatre, but that is one couple out of many. I remember the wife having morning sickness and almost being late to dress rehearsals.

We are supposed to find joy in life but at the same time we are supposed to live in moderation. Moderation between what makes me happy and what I know is good for me is a hard choice. I think it is most important that I still pray about my choices and do listen to guidance on my decisions. I haven’t been told to not do theatre, but if I am ever told that I know I will listen. I may sulk but when Heavenly Father tells me what to do, I usually listen. Our bodies are important but our spirits are equally important. The spirit affects the body and without happiness and passion I do not find the same joy in life. I know what truly brings me happiness is the Gospel and the scriptures. At the same time I know what I am passionate about and while it may only give happiness for a short time, it is something I am talented in and something I will try to use for the benefit of people around me. I suppose that is the most I can hope for anything I do.

No comments: