Tuesday

Martha

I went to the Christmas Devotional on Sunday with my sister. I wasn’t quite sure I wanted to go. I actually wanted to sleep more, but we went. She loves Christmas and everything about Christmas. She loves the decorations, the traditions and the movies. I am not a Scrooge, but I am not nearly as excited about any Holiday as she is. I like the time to relax and be with people, but I never really got as much enjoyment over celebrating Christmas as she did. I probably would have skipped having a tree in the apartment we share, but I don’t think that ever occurred to her. She wouldn’t even let me put up a small fake tree I had. Last week she told me that we had to find a good time to go get a tree. She wouldn’t let me get out of it either. She insisted we go together to get a tree. I think I don’t like celebrating Christmas nearly as much because I am lazier than she is. Or maybe it is because we have different priorities. She values beauty and comfort over things like homework. I am much more obsessive about homework than she is. I like to get things done and accomplish assignments. I usually read books from my reading list for classes before the semester begins. On the other hand, she prepares perfect recipes. She will experiment with baking and spices until she has something perfect. She tastes these small tastes that I often cannot even detect. She likes things to be nicely decorated to her aesthetic taste. I eat food from vending machines and am content with a couch and a computer. I may get better grades, but I’m pretty sure she enjoys life more. People look at us as sisters and think we are almost exactly alike, and the truth is we are very close to opposites. We look similar, talk similarly, tell stories the same way, have a similar sense of humor, but we are very different people. I have more characteristics in common with each of my parents than I have with my sister. But I also get along with her best out of the whole family. We are only nineteen months apart and we are best friends. I was thinking on Sunday as we were going farther and farther the Sacrament meeting time that I am often very similar to Martha, sister of Mary and Lazarus. I am very good at doing things, but I don’t really take time to appreciate the beauty of things. My sister I think is much more like Mary. She loves taking time to appreciate the beauty of life. I wouldn’t have gone to Salt Lake but instead have gone to sleep without her urging me. I would have left the apartment like it was without decorations. I suppose I need to slow down and think about what is more important in life.

No comments: