Sunday

Ikea World




Back in the flat after another two busy days and I feel the need to mention that the flat I live in is straight out of an Ikea catalog. Not the über-cute rooms in an Ikea catalog either. The spare minimalist aesthetic which is clean-cut and seems to resist any attempts to try to impose personality on it. Despite this fact, it is fun to live with so many girls.





Outside the flat, right across the street is Hyde Park, and I have only walked through it once. As soon as it stops raining for a bit, I do want to explore. But the cold rain seems to have an evil desire to kill whatever exploring impulses I have. I have persevered though and yesterday went to go see Westminister when we had a brief moment of sun. We didn't have time to do the Westminster Abbey tour, but I'm hoping to soon. We did sit in St. Margaret's Church and it was quite nice. After that we took the tube to King's Cross and went up to the train station. After mistakenly exploring St. Pancras (which was the train station used in the Harry Potter films) and taking many pictures, we discovered the sign that said "Platform 9 3/4." That being accomplished, we returned to the flat for a meeting.





This meeting was to received our church assignments for the time we would be in London. I was assigned to a Brazilian Portuguese-speaking ward. I speak German, a little French, and a little Chinese. The other three girls assigned to the same ward all have some Spanish knowledge. The only word I remember from when Mario and Will first came from Brazil is "Venha aqui" (Come here). I'm a bit worried since I may just be smiling alot at people and speaking in broken French. I really am going to have to pray before going.

Well, after this we went to "Noises Off" - one of the funniest plays in all time, in my humble opinion. It was great, despite our nosebleed seats. This beautiful play was succeeded the next day by Noël Coward's "Hay Fever" starring Lindsay Duncan and Jeremy Northam. Having been a fan of Jeremy Northam all of my life, it was great to see him act on stage and he was surprisingly funny in hos role as a diplomat. But on the whole, I thought "Noises Off" was funnier.

I also did get to a museum this morning, though I still have many many left to visit. I went to the Natural History Museum and got to explore something indoors. The mammals exhibit was excellent, though the dinosaurs were not nearly as good as the ones I saw in New York last week at the American Museum of Natural History. But I did get to see another blue whale replica, and will try to communicate without language skills tomorrow morning. I also got to go to dinner and hang out with friends tonight as a time to just get out.


2 comments:

Ash said...

I think I know where you're staying. The girls in my study abroad had to walk up 5 flights of stairs to get to their flat. But they had so much space.

Alexis Wood said...

Yeah, we are on the first floor, so no walking. It keeps raining very cold rain though. It needs to stop.