Wednesday

First day in London

Rain might often slow things down but when there is the whiff of exploring a new city, new dreamed-of museums and monuments, and seeing what can only be seen in photos rain is ignored and suffered through. I have been going strong since 5:30 am London time. It is now 00:22 of the next day. But what a day! The horrid part was finished quickly with moving my full 80 L backpack, rolling carry-on, and shoulder bag from Northfields to just south of Hyde Park in the rain. About a mile of walking in the rain was slow torture. Then I sat outside for 30 minutes waiting for someone with keys. But after that it was much better. By noon I had unpacked and completely organized my things and purchased groceries. After that there was only the British Museum! The first of many trips. Then a quick stop at Westminster for some very wet pictures and back to the flat before the theatre. Traveling Light at the National is what we saw but we intended to see Noises Off at the old Vic. We did some quick walking after getting off at the wrong station a ways away. But apparently they moved it to another theatre near where we first were but the National was close. I also got turned around on a station going to the British Museum. Traveling Light was about the beginning of Jewish Cinema and the first man who made a cinematic montage. A play about Russian Jews and film? Sounds about my cup of tea! It was nice with a bit schmaltz. But to top it all off I finished with some great fish and chips (fish were top notch and chips were decent). This in addition to the two large samosas for lunch, two Clif Bars for breakfast, two Belgian Waffles, and lots of candy at the National completed a day of British eating. Not too much different from Iceland. Maybe I just usually eat European type foods anyway. I really found food so easily unlike many other people. Anyway, about to collapse before another day.

No comments: