Saturday

Blue Whale

When I was much younger and lived in New Jersey, one of my favorite places to go was the room with sea life dioramas and a replica of a Blue Whale hanging from the ceiling in the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. This may seem a strange choice but I would have dreams about whales. I would be swimming in blue-blue water of a deep ocean without having problems breathing underwater and suddenly a grey wall would come up on the side of me. Slowly I drifted away and I would slowly translate the wall that took up my line of sight into a whale. I used to be very scared of deep water, especially looking down into progressively darker and darker water that continued seemingly forever. I never remember looking down into the depths of the ocean in my dream. I remember the water getting darker when the whale blocked out so much sunlight from my perspective, but then as I moved away the sun came out and this whale became not only a creature enormously large, but also surpassingly beautiful and peaceful. I am going back to the American Museum of Natural History to visit for a few hours on Monday and while I want to see the dinosaurs, I really want to see the whale. After moving away from New Jersey, I would dream about the whale and it replaced the greatness of my dream whale. But I haven't seen this whale in years and I will be seeing it in two days. I doubt it will even come close to the dream whale in the museum that has haunted my dreams. It will be nowhere near the wall of whale that brought so much peace. But what will it be like?

No comments: