Tuesday

To my sister on her birthday

You are my paper lunch bag and my Toblerone
Honeysuckle afternoon, losing all my keys
Fire escape rust and blood Hibiscus flower grown
Walks in the cemetery, most allergic breeze
Napping with Winnie Pooh, and Piglet all alone
Finest film I’ve known with my favorite French cheese
My red ants in New Orleans and a dirndl frill
Waiting for late late ride, boxes packed to fill
Moo sounding cello and Nutcracker dance
Three flights up to front door. Three more: not a chance.
The big zoo in my dreams and all the Russian things
Our cone of silence, mocking bird, and all Ping's dings
Umweltverschmutzung, and funerals, except one
But together and apart, this life's sadness will be won
Lonely as a lightning bolt, one second then no more
Back to the home before the jolt, from its haven torn
But echoing we speak and never loose track, nor
The calls, texts and emails from the darkness scorn


So with your lunch and life, you are the outcome new
Of all your dreams and plans and schemes, to which you have been true
No more or less than missing memories
All falling silently, your birthday leaves

No comments: