Tuesday

Rosh Hashanah

Happy Rosh Hashanah! Okay, I guess it brings back my childhood, but I always loved the Jewish holidays, including the solemn ones around the Days of Awe. Maybe it was my Dad trying to blow the shofar he bought and totally failing. You just can't be solemn at that type of occasion. He tried so hard and there was never any noise at all. We all tried and no one could make a single note that sounded like the Cecil B. DeMille's Ten Commandments when they blew their giant shofars to move the Children of Israel. They sounded like majestic horns trying to move the millions of people like cattle. Anyway, that was always a fun part along with braiding the challah bread and being allowed to eat lots of bread and honey. So, now my sister to baking the challah bread and I'm going to eat some tomorrow. I'm glad she's here to bake, or else I'd have to go to Einstein Brother's which I've been informed has individual challah, but they aren't that good. Tradition! Tradition! It seems like traditions carry on because they make us feel safe and secure. The Jews in the time between the Old and New Testaments were scattered and the temple was destroyed, but they still held onto what they believed through traditions. They didn't have the gift of the Holy Ghost per se, but they knew what their ancestors had believed and they knew the words of the Torah, and with their traditions, they survived as a people through many subsequent problems and diasporas. The Jewish laws may have been geared more to the letter of the law versus the spirit, but they did indeed keep the Jewish people separate from whatever people they tried to live among.

I guess hearing about all the laws they had back then regarding the number of steps around Jerusalem being as many steps as you could walk in a Sabbath day or how nothing that has touched milk can touch anything with meat, or vice versa seem like little things that shouldn't have made much of a difference to a people trying to survive. But all these little things became little things that made the Jews different, or special. I am not kosher and I don't adhere to any rabbinical laws regarding my actions on Saturdays or Sundays, but I do remember the holidays. Sometimes I just remember them in passing with fond memories of the past, and sometimes I search through the 7 grocery stores in town to try to find who sells Manischewitz macaroons for Passover (last Passover, and only one store sold any but chocolate chip which I don't like that much). I'm not Jewish, except in that my father was and I grew up celebrating Jewish holidays, but a part of me will always be Jewish because I remember these holidays and remember what they are in commemoration of. Why do I love these traditions that have no strict religious meaning to me anymore? Because I grew up with them, and even though they may have no strict religious meaning, they mean something to me. They remind me of my ancestors and the traditions they had to keep themselves a separate, obedient people.

This of course begs the question: What am I doing to keep myself an obedient person? Eating challah bread and macaroons definitely does not make me a more obedient person. All these outward celebrations and laws are not what makes a person obedient. What makes a person obedient is a change of heart and to internalize the gospel as much as possible. Feast upon the words of Christ, for behold the words of Christ will tell you all things what you should do. I suppose that more than food and celebrations, we should be feasting on the words of Christ. But as much as I love the scriptures, I still like lighting Chanukah candles, winning Gelt, and playing 'find the matzo' (which has no purpose).

No comments: