Friday

On my own in Korea

Illness caught up with me. I've been sick since a couple days after I arrived in China, but I've just kept going with medication. You can't be sick for Christmas and traveling. But we went to The Hobbit and then back to the bookstore on New Year's Eve, and by the time we were at the bookstore and found a place to eat, I was not feeling well and in a bad mood to reflect it. We did find a great Italian restaurant to eat at and I bought some Lacan and Žižek to elevate the mood a bit then we got some food. Wait, no I was confused. We got the Italian after the bookstore. Wandering around a frigid Seoul while not feeling good turns most things into a tunnel so you only have in mind getting to your destination. You walk and walk even though you don't want to, but you keep going. Earlier when I was wandering around Seoul on medication it felt surreal, but now the medication was no longer effective and by 6 pm on New Year's Eve, I just wanted to sleep. So I did. I woke up in time to say goodbye to the old year and hello to the new one, but not that much more. I believe Ken and April were having a party, but am really not too sure. 


Anyway, after so much sleeping (and a great deal of coughing), I woke up the next morning and felt slightly better. My father and Kitz were still sleeping, but Dad and I went to get some breakfast and brought something back for Kitz. We bought tickets for Les Miserables movie that night, so Kitz and Dad relaxed until then and I went out since it was my last day in Korea. They can go quite often, but it's a bit harder for me. So I ventured out with a map, some won, and no knowledge of Korean. I went to this little "traditional Korean village" they recreated in the middle of Seoul by moving five houses there from different parts of the country. They also had a ice sculpture village from New Year's celebrations. I was the only westerner there, so that was fun. I got a few strange looks, but not nearly as bad as China. People (especially old people) look at me strangely all the time. Even in Beijing. But off I went to the village and got back in time to take a taxi to Gangnam (where we see our English language movies). Kitz was getting pretty sick by this point and didn't get much out of the movie since she had a massive headache. We went back and she slept and then we left in the morning for Beijing.

No comments: