Sunday

To Korea and Beyond!

So two flights in one day and multiple terminal transfers and taxi rides are exhausting to the extreme. I was motion sick and tired by the end of the day and fell asleep well in advance of Ekitzel flying in. And since I wasn't awake, Dad didn't stay awake and Ekitzel ended up having to wake up April to let her in. I'm sick and Ken and April are also both sick, so we've been having fun. I've been dosing up on medication to do stuff around Seoul. We went to the temple Saturday morning and then went to the Gyeongbokgung palace after I got lunch and medication. We arrived just as the guard was being changed with drums and flags and colorful costumes. It was exciting and I liked it.
We wandered around the palace just as it was beginning to snow. So we slowly got more wet and cold as we wandered in the snow and eventually ended up in the Folk Museum, which was awesome. Then we wended our way back to Ken and April's to see when The Hobbit was showing. Unfortunately we can't buy tickets online since we aren't Korean and you really need to buy them ahead of time to get tickets at all. But just then as we were flipping channels, Fellowship of the Ring just started. So, I watched that as Dad and Kitz got me food with directions to a good place for food from Ken. More cheese pizza for me since that has no meat but it was quite good. Then Kitz got more sleep since she hadn't slept much the night before.

Today we got a bit lost trying to get to church, but I was feeling better before we walked around a frigid Seoul for 40 minutes or more. After that I started to feel hot with a fever again (everyone else was cold) and my head began trying to give me enough pain to stop me from walking. But we made it to church halfway through sacrament meeting where Kitz met her old boss from the BYU library and a guy I had a German class with recognized me (since we all know I have problems recognizing people). But we stayed for the meetings and wandered over to have lunch near the statue and museum for King Sejong. He established the Korean alphabet as different from using Chinese characters. There's a whole museum for him and it is next to a very large bookstore, which we browsed (they had a great philosophy section all in English including tons of Zizek and even a few Butler). After doughnuts and hot chocolate at Dunkin Donuts, we went back and watched the television which is where I am now - being very unproductive.

No comments: