Tuesday

Last day in Beijing - take two

I got to the airport on time. I got through security and immigration with less fuss than I have ever experienced in China. I didn't even get the pat down that everyone else was subjected to. It was all really going too well. I sat a little bit away from the gate at a charging station watching some Downton Abbey season two I have yet to watch and painting my fingernails. Then the flight was delayed and the gate changed. They gave us a free lunch but there was a long line to get it, so I used the last of my RMB to get a sandwich. But this was no ordinary sandwich. I bought it at a cafe, thinking that would make it more normal, but instead of what I thought I saw (two sandwiches cut in half and stack on top of each other in the package), I got something else entirely. I got a single sandwich, five pieces of bread high with filling between every slice, cut in half, I would have had to unhinge my jaw to eat such a sandwich, so I ended up eating one slice at a time with filling above and below. I got some decent cheesecake to cheer me up after that. Then I watched a bit more Downton Abbey before I realized I was at the wrong gate. I had heard the woman say E36 when she was trying to pronounce E26 to me. So I went to the right gate just as they cancelled the flight. Then the fun began.

I really don't like standing in lines and the Chinese can't queue to save their lives. People cut all the time. They are more of a narrow moving clump of people than a line, so people all seem to think it is okay to move in front of people. I had to stand in a clump to go back through immigration (they opened a special place just for our flight but it was a big flight). Then I had to stand in a clump to wait for the shuttle to the hotel. Then at the hotel I had to stand in a clump to check in, but thankfully before I was in that clump too long, they gave me a voucher and told me to have dinner first so I could check in later. This seemed like a good idea and with the wifi in the hotel, I was able to email Kitz and Dad to tell them where I was. They came out after I checked into my room and I had second-dinner with them. Then we watched a bit of the Discovery Channel before they went back and I painted my toe nails while watching a show about a guy who went to Shaolin to learn karate on National Geographic I think. Anyway, I'm going to take a couple hours sleep but not too much (so I can sleep on the plane) then get up and try to leave Beijing again tomorrow.

No comments: