Saturday

Finger Bowls

I remember one time in the Minneapolis Museum of Art I was looking at one of Monet's Haystacks. I love impressionists and just looking at the paint strokes, oil paint so thick it was probably still drying, made me tear up a bit. Just seeing that beauty and realism captured in paint moves me in a very strange way. Religious art has never touched me as much as impressionists. We are told to seek after everything lovely. Monet is beautiful to me. Of course Kandinsky is too beautiful to me too, but not in the same moving and tearing way that touches my soul. Going to the exhibit of religious artwork in the Museum of Art was nice but having studied art for a while in a non-religious institution I am influenced too much by historical contexts and painting styles. I thought one of the pieces of art was very reminiscent of paintings of Arthurian legends from the same time period. The piece of art in the entire exhibit that moved me the most was the painting of the three bowls containing blood, water and spirit entitled The Third Triptych. These bowls at once reminded me of finger bowls we used in my family for hand washing at various Jewish celebrations. They were passed around the table for ritual hand washings. My parents had to explain the symbolism of cleansing ourselves before God. Like every child, symbolism had to be learned. My mother explained Catholic beliefs and symbols and my father took Jewish. The hand washing always seemed a little excessive to me as a child, but when we occasionally skipped it after I was older and we had many more kids and less time, I felt that something was missing. We may be taught symbols, but growing up we have our own symbols we have gained from learning and our families. I was taught different symbols from people who were born and raised only Mormon, but Mormons are taught different symbols from other religions. This painting did not make me cry over the technical details such as Monet did. This painting moved me because of the symbolism and how I connected with those symbols. One of the paintings had a prayer shawl hanging in the background. It also had lilies and other symbols, but I connected with the prayer shawl. Prayer shawls means sabbath to me and going to synagogue on some holiday or something.

Anyway, back to the painting I really liked. The water, blood and spirit all portrayed as being in finger bowls, which we use to cleanse ourselves and bring ourselves nearer to God, was simple in a way but very meaningful. In the New Testament times, they did not wash as frequently as we do, so hand washing was probably much more needed. Foot washing was probably the same. Peter asked when Jesus was cleaning his feet if he could clean every part of him, but Jesus replied that only the feet were needed. Now we still symbolically wash our hands, but because of our knowledge of Christ, washing our hands in the finger bowls has changed to not just being a symbol of cleansing ourselves so we can be nearer to God, but also symbolizes the Atonement and how Christ cleansed us all. The symbol of washing our hands is the same, but the meaning behind it has expanded to encompass more that it used to. So now the body of Christ is displayed in the three bowls, the same type of bowls we use to symbolize the cleansing power of the Atonement. His body cleansed us and saved us from sin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The three bowls can also be called vessels. Bringing to the mind that we are all vessels of the true and living water if we all but accept this role. Christ being the spring from which we receive the water and his attonement in turn cleanses it for us to again deffer to Him in all things. Sorry if my spelling is off.