Tuesday

Last days in Beijing

So the last Saturday I was in Beijing, Dad and I went to Ladies' Street to look around, but we didn't find much there. Neither my father or I are really good at shopping. We like to get what is needed and leave so going to a place with no end goal in mind is not fun. So we went on a long cold walk. I found a nice leather shoulder bag which I did not haggle hard enough for according to Kitz. Then we walked back and tried to find a shortcut back but failed miserably. We ended up in this large and rundown apartment complex that was completely walled except for the entrance we came in. So while we could see the apartment building on the other side of the wall, we had to turn around and go back the way we came and walk the long way around. After we had another stop for groceries, we got back and watched The Avengers and then started the long saga of all three extended versions of Lord of the Rings. Dad hadn't seen it for many years and we did just see The Hobbit in Korea.
Kitz was at work and got home to us with pizza watching Peter Jackson movies. She has had to work eight days straight, so she also had to work tomorrow on Sunday. Irena, Dad, and I got to church then went back home to more Lord of the Rings. We took a break when Kitz got home and watched the David Tennant and Catherine Tate play of Much Ado About Nothing, then tumbled into bed.
On my last day in Beijing, I went to the Yonghe Lama Temple. The air was filled with incense and most of the people were kowtowing to buildings, paintings, and statues. One of the Buddhas was so tall he reminded me of the giant Stay-Puff marshmallow man from Ghostbusters. I was just peering up and up at him. It really was a lovely visit. I have given up on audio tours again because of their many annoying qualities so it was nice to just walk through and see. I took so long I missed the 11:30 drum performance at the Drum and Bell towers I visited next. There was an interesting exhibit on ancient Chinese methods of time-keeping in the drum tower and more about bells and letting people know the time in the Bell Tower. They were not as nice as the temple, but decent.
Afterwards off to Qianmen to do some final shopping where I got my picture taken with three generations of a family. One woman asked for a picture, and I said yes. Then out jumped eleven or so people. We got a few then I took a picture with each grand parent individually then the grandchild individually. So that was fun. Then back to the apartment to pack. Kitz, Dad, Irena, and I went to dinner then finished up the cast commentary of The Return of the King.
The next morning Kitz was working at home as I prepared to take off for the airport and now I am breathlessly waiting for father and driver to come. They are late.

No comments: